Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gyrfalcon on the Oredock. Sorry poor photos.



Look close the Gyrfalcon is there on the top rail between the first and second light pole. See the red circle. Hint: click on this photo or any photo to get an enlarged version. I've included this photo so the reader can get a perspective of just how far away this bird is from our viewing spot. As the ice freezes and becomes safe we are able to get out along side the oredock and get a better view. Probably not until mid January considering the warm weather we're having. The bird spent a great deal of time preening his feather in the morning sun.






8:02 A.M.: Just as I was arriving at one of the viewing points overlooking the Oredock my cellphone rang it was Ryan B. "the Gyr is on the east side of the Oredock on the top rail three section from the end". All this shorthand describes the favorite perching area of a Gyrfalcon that has overwinter here for the last 3-4 years.

Within minutes of my arrival it was apparent that Ryan was letting everyone know the Gyr was here and soon there was a gathering of local birders. Tim O., Nick A., Ryan B. and myself all standing along the shoreline pointing lots of very expensive optical equipment and this one bird.

Today we also had an out of town birder (Brian) enjoying the sighting. Brian is a graduate student at Clemson University in South Carolina he is studying Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. Brian is on a birding tour with Ashland as one of his stops. It turns out Brian must be a lucky birder at least he was today. Brian got to see this Gyrfalcon on his first attempt this morning. Not bad considering I've been trying to see the Gyr everyday for the last two weeks with no luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

& I waited, lonely & alone, in the cool morning mist, waited for you to join me for coffee. Alas, I have no feathers to hide my sadness, my preening, flesh-colored sadness.