Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The ice is moving. Our own little non-destructive version of plate tectonics.

The ice in Chequamegon Bay is starting to move.  Spring is getting near.

These photos were taken at 1st. and 2nd. landing today.

These photos were taken at 1st. and 2nd. landing today.

These photos were taken at 1st. and 2nd. landing today.

 This photo is from the archives. It is one of my favorites from a series I shot northwest of Bayfield WI near the Ice Caves. The "landscape" is large mounds of push ice that have been covered with blowing snow and beach sand from the shoreline. If you look at the right side of the photo at the point where the "land" and sky meet you can see a thin slice of open water of Lake Superior. For additional information about the ice cave see here.


I went back and dug deeper into the archives for this and the two photos below.


Ice cave approach.


Ice Caves.

Walking out to fish.


This photo was taken at the head of the bay between long bridge and short bridge.

2 comments:

Publicus said...

What I loved about this time of year in Ashland was when the ice was breaking up and it piled up on the shoreline in small pieces. The water would flow under them an the ice pieces would clash against each other sounding like a million wind chimes. I would go down to Krier park by the old pulp hoist around sunset and just stand there (sometimes still shivering) and listen to the symphony. No matter what was going on in my life, I always left there with peace of mind.

hizzhoner. (aka publius)

Shutterwi said...

hizzhoner... sounds like a photo assignment. I know exactly what you are describing. Lets see if I can get it on video with sound at break up this year. No promises but... lets see.