Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Things I've seen this week. Hymenoptera (bees, wasps and others) & Asclepias (milkweed).

Honeybee hive with lots of early fall activity. To learn more about the bees and wasps look here.

Warm fall day with little wind and lots of sun. The comings and goings of worker bees.

This was probably a bald-faced hornets nest. To learn more about bald-faced hornets look here. Although is could also be a Yellowjackets nest. To learn more look here.


Milkweed seed dispersal. To learn more about seed dispersal look here.

2 comments:

acs55812 said...

ohh,,,the memories,,,walking miles and acres (100+ acres),,,north/south/north/south every 12 feet to cut the milkweeds out of the soybeans,,,,remind me again was that the "good old days"?

Shutterwi said...

I had to de-beak chickens. Chicken after chicken after chicken. By mid morning I would be standing ankle deep in beaks

Horrible, horrible job.

Oh did I mention that the de-beaking job was a promotion from the chicken s**t shoveling entry level summer job.

My "good old days"