Monday, December 18, 2006

Richard I. Bong Bridge.





Made a road trip to Duluth MN today. Beautiful sunny day making it a great day for a ride. Very little (none) wildlife to photograph in the 140 mile round trip. I did get the chance to try out my new Canon 100-400mm lens. I thought the close up details (bottom photo) weren't bad for a hand held shot from this distant.

The photos of the Richard "Dick" I. Bong Bridge were taken from the Duluth MN Skyline Drive. The bridge connects Superior WI with Duluth MN. The bridge is a memorial to a local World War II fighter pilot.

Dick Bong was born and raised in Popular WI. He entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in the early days of World War II. He flew a P-38 Lightning and became an Ace for downing 40 enemy planes in the Pacific theater. For more information about Dick Bong visit his Heritage Center website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back, ShutterWi. I had to ask your next door neighbor if you had taken a trip this past week or had caught one of the "bugs" little kids are passing around Ashland this winter.
Thank you for new pictures! I like the view of the whole bridge winding over the water.

Merry Christmas to you and to all your blog visitors!

Shutterwi said...

Thank you.

It has been a very slow few weeks.

Wildlife is not moving.

The ice on the bay has come, gone and is now returning.

The days have been overcast and flat without sun.

No snow on the ground.

So all in all there hasn't been much different to photograph.

I go out everyday and take a few pictures but at the end of the day they look the same as the ones from the day before...BORING.

Better days are coming.