Monday, January 18, 2010

Yet another great sunny day on the ice.

 What can I say the sun was out.  The bay is 1/2 mile away and the access is easy. I can't remember a string of weather that has been this perfect for my kind of ice fishing.

Knock on wood, fingers crossed and praying to the fishing gods that it continues until say fly fishing weather.

At one point today the temperature reached 48 degrees. The digital thermometer hangs on my jacket zipper. Granted it was against my black jacket in direct sunlight. But 48 on January 18th.

The fish were biting a lot better today although still only perch. In four trips out I have not seen a single flag (strike) on a tip-up.

I stopped and talk to several other fisherman at the landing everyone seem to have the same results. Mostly perch and smelt between the shore and the lighthouse. Better results toward Washburn and Houghton Point.

Jump in for a trip out onto the ice.






Below is a circle tour around the bay.
This is a 360 degree rotating view of Chequamegon Bay. You will be looking north east toward the lighthouse. As we move toward the left the specks in the distant are cars and ice shacks. The distant shore (at 11 seconds) is Houghton point then (at 18 seconds) Washburn (NW). My truck. Continuing to the (WSW) (at 39 seconds) the sun and the head of the bay. Ashland then (at 47 seconds) the Chequamegon Hotel (at 48 seconds) the end of the oredock to the (S). Continuing to the (SE). The break wall in the distant. Back to the lighthouse.

No comments: