Monday, February 08, 2010

Some work and lots of fun. Three days and three lakes.

Don't worry the work was minimal. I spent a few hours helping my nephew with a remolding project he is working on.

Here is what work looks like when you are retired. I arrived a day late. I worked for 2 hours maybe. At that point I think I was getting in the way. The boss (Skip) told me to go fishing.

I did, go fishing that is. Caught a few small perch and a nice walleye. Great sunny day on the ice.



Skip worked until five. I quit fishing at five. We cleaned up and went out to supper. Two burgers, 3 beers and two cocktails later we headed back to the house. Watched a movie. Slept 8 hours.

I got up and had breakfast then packed the car and headed out for Marengo Lake WI.  I'm sure I spent more time this weekend packing and unpacking the car than I did "working".

Skip stayed and worked until 3:00.  Cleaned up then headed home for Super Bowl Sunday.

I arrived at Marengo Lake at 11:30 for a day of outdoor winter activity. Snowshoeing,  cross county skiing, campfire, great food and friends.  Oh and of course ice fishing. Thanks Carol and Brian for a great winter party.

Some of the snowshoeing participants.  

 
The guy on the left needs more equipment before hitting the trails.

 
My favorite snowshoeing bunny.

Fishing was slow but Ed, EJ and I gave it our best. Lots of holes were drilled.. thanks EJ. Lots of tip ups were set, picked up moved and reset.  And yes some fish were caught. Crappie (2) and perch (5-6) good job Ed.  Rick didn't miss much.

Ice fishing Marengo Lake.

Before all you ice fishermen start planning a trip to Marengo Lake the catch for the day was 2 crappie and 5 or 6 four inch perch in six hours (18 man hours) of fishing.  Stay home!

No kidding four inch perch. Nice catch EJ.

Everyone was on the road for home by 5:00. We stopped for a little Super Bowl watching with family. My sister made the traditional Super Bowl food in our family. English muffins topped with a finely ground spread of spam, cheese and onions. Put on cookie sheet then broiled in the oven. An invention of my dad who loved to cook. I like the ones that are "burned" around the edges.

I left for home early. Unpacked the car put all of the fishing gear in the house and all of the tools in the shop.

Today is cleanup day. I'm going to straighten out the mess that gets made when I spend three days fishing , traveling and yes working.

 Oh and Donna and my sister went quilting while I was working.

Hey Skip the fish again measured > 17 inches........gloating while I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You used to post lots of pictures.

Northern WI Jackpine Savage said...

Next time I'm going to make you work all DAY!!!!!!(That is if you keep gloating.