Sunday, January 30, 2011
Friday, January 28, 2011
This male Cardinal was very unhappy about me being out in the yard. I believe it was mad because I got between it and the bird feeder. I've heard this sharp short chirp before. Usually in the summer when we are in the yard around the grapevine. Again between it and the food. This video was shot with a DroidX Smartphone.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Well at least the smelt were biting. Checkout the 10" smelt. The first time I saw it under the ice I thought it was a coho.
Checkout the teeth. Imagine if this were a 5 lb. game fish.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Sunday, January 09, 2011
Six of us fished. The day started with the usual early season problems. A little water in the auger fuel lines didn't help the start of the day for me. A jammed starter cord on the second auger compounded the problems. No auger...no holes...no holes...no fish...no fish...no fun. Cloudy, windy and blowing snow at the start of the day was quickly replaced with bright sunlight and calming winds. We all caught fish and ended up having a great day.
Saturday, January 08, 2011
We just added a suet station to our backyard kitchen window feeder. It went untouched for about 7 days. I'm not sure if it was out of fear, or the suet was to new or what. But at some point the birds started to visit it. For the last few days the Grackles and at least one Hairy Woodpecker have been regular visitors.
Monday, January 03, 2011
Starting with these lessons.
(1) Be careful what you put in your feeders.
(2) Not all "foods" are bird foods.
(3) Sticky is very sticky if you have feathers.
(4) Chickadees don't like sponge baths.
(5) Chickadees have sharp pointed beaks.
(6) Chickadees are not passive cute little song birds when getting a sponge bath.
(7) Chickadee beaks will draw blood when wielded by a mad Chickadee,
(8) You won't be hearing "Chick..a..dee..dee..dee" when they are getting a bath.
(9)Band-Aids should be applied after drying your hands.