Monday, November 24, 2008

Straight out of a magazine. Thanks again to Rick.


This fly was from and article in a fly tying magazine. It focused on a fly you can tie from craft store ingredients.

The eyes are from common (sewing) pins cut at 3/8" long. The cut pin are tied together. The eyes are then tied perpendicular to the hook (Size 10 2x).

The body is made from sticky back foam bought at a big box store.

The tail and wings (legs) are suppose to be from metallic embroidery floss. The floss was not available in the big box store. So I cheated and went to the fly shop in town and purchased Flashabou.

I'm planning some smaller sizes and some different body colors.

I guess now I'll have to return Rick's magazine.






Griffith's Gnat

3 comments:

coldH2O said...

They look great. Good job. Yeah, you've progressed so I'll need the mag back so I can try to keep up with you.

Us said...

those look amazing! xoxo landm

coldH2O said...

All right! It's now Dec. 13, 2008, & no new flies? Are you spending more time at the fly shop than you are at the tying table? Just asking.