Monday, December 07, 2009

Curiosity finally got the better of me.


I made the phone call. This device is a radio receiver and I would guess transmitter. It is the start of a system that Xcel Energy is installing in our region. When complete it will remotely read your electric and gas meters.

What is not clear to me at this point is does it also transmit that data directly to Xcel (probably hopping from unit to unit until it reach the collection point) or will we see roving vehicles that gather the data as it passes each unit. I would guess it might also at some location connect to a copper phone line or fiber optic network connection and transmit the data.

Secondly I would guess that each gas and electric customer will need an upgrade of the equipment at their residence so the data can be transmitted from your house.

Now that I know what it is I 'll dig a little deeper for more details.

Update 1: See the comments for complete dialog
 The Admiral said...
 I believe it is part of the new "SmartGrid"
http://ge.ecomagination.com/smartgrid/#/landing_page
It all sounds like a wonderful idea, but it isn't. When completed, the government through regulation at the local power company will be able to dictate the temperature in your own home, and how much electricity you may use.
Update 2: Here is more information about SmartGrid. Oh!.... grab two aspirin coffee, tea or bourbon then read on.

8 comments:

Chip Drewry said...

I believe it is part of the new "SmartGrid"

http://ge.ecomagination.com/smartgrid/#/landing_page

It all sounds like a wonderful idea, but it isn't. When completed, the government through regulation at the local power company will be able to dictate the temperature in your own home, and how much electricity you may use.

Shutterwi said...

Ok great that made my day!

So it's another "this is going to be great for the consumer" promise that's going to tap directly into my bank account.

Well thanks for the informative update.

Anonymous said...

Smart Power!

coldH2O said...

I have no problem with energy rationing. If our public policy was in a better place, a home that uses too much energy would automatically, & at no cost to the home owner, be given the opportunity to do an energy saving do-over of their house. The only exception to that rule would be landlords, & we all know them, who refuse to provide safe, energy efficient rental properties for their tenants.

Spadoman said...

Does this mean I will freeze my arse off if I try to walk around in my own home in my shorts when it's 20 below outside because the power company wants me to conserve energy?
A stark change from the buy and use all you want mentality from the 1950's industrial age.

Anonymous said...

People are using, "The Envirnment!" as an excuse to boss people around.

Shutterwi said...

ColdH20 and Spadoman

All great points and great questions.

Other than confirming what the devices are. No one seems to know anything.

My guess would be that before they can lower the thermostat remotely there is going to have to be some hardware upgrades in every home. $$$?

It almost seems like they will have to "zone" the energy using devices in each house. That would mean electricians and plumbers isolating our washers/dryer, air conditioner units, furnace, hot water heater, etc.

It's one thing to tell you you can't use your dryer at a given time it's another to tell you you can't use your furnace.

What about local polices to regulate the energy companies. State, County and city.

Then of course there is the whole question about energy efficient improvements to each home.

hizzoner said...

I am extremely skeptical of "smart grid"....I don't like any government entity controlling ANYTHING within my personal domain...even if I am the government official in charge of it...I want to see where this thing is going.

I'll also keep an eye out on our local, municipally owned electric utility to see what they're up to..

Suspicious? Yep. Paranoid? well...getting there....